Is 90% Ours?

Dear Jack-

Hypothetically speaking, say a family gives 10% (a biblical “tithe”) of their income to church, charities, or other organizations (10% is high – I think the average church-goer gives something like 2.3%, which is a whole other subject).  The typical mindset is then “I’m giving 10% of my income to God” which subconsciously implies that “the remaining 90% is mine.”  This is flawed in the worst way.

All money is God’s money – not just 10% of it, or 2.3% of it.  100%.  We’re held responsible not just for what we do with our tithe, whatever number that is going to be – we’re held responsible for all of what we’re given and entrusted with.  That means we’re responsible for the use of money towards debt payments, living expenses, taxes, giving, and the margin leftover.  Too many people fail to realize this, and it ultimately creates a faulty view of what stewardship and giving is all about.  Till next time, Jack.

Sincerely,
J.

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Is 90% Ours?”

  1. Too true indeed. We had an interesting sermon at our church this year that pronounced this point nicely. The name of the sermon? “It is all gift”. The pastor (Jason Mitchell at LCBC) did an amazing job of pointing out the theory behind the 10/10/80 thought process, which in simple terms means the first 10% back to God, the next 10% saved for future emergencies, etc, and the final 80% towards bills and living expenses.

    I do realize that some are having a difficult time right now and feel that they can’t “swing” the 10%. However, the proper approach is….have faith in the Lord and He will provide. It was a tough mentality for me at first too, but once I decided to devote my life and my finances I’ve never looked back.

    Back to the sermon….he went over every day objects and proclaimed “Gift”. Car…gift. House…gift. Job…gift. Children…gift. Health…gift. Quarter…gift. Everything…gift. I must say, it really hit home.

    Thanks for the post!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s